Anurag Jain's Blog
Monday, February 07, 2005

Rise of Indian Fusion music

I've always been recieving a lot of mails about Indian music, especially Indian fusion music. Of late, however, the frequency of such mails has increased. Sample a few emails I've got in recent weeks. These only show how interested global population is becoming in Indian music.


Sample 1
-----Original Message-----
From: XYZ
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 1:36 AM
To: webmaster
Subject: mystery Indian CD

Thank you for your excellent webpage! I was watching International Channel in L.A. and they played a top CD single - the video was an amazing collection/collage of images of everyday India, the people, places, many of which I saw when I travelled there in 1970 - the music was one man in a turban playing an electric guitar while standing in traffic - lyrics were superimposed on the film - I would say an inspirational retro western sounding song

I must get this video - I think the artists name was Runi or similar - it is supposed to be selling in the top ten CD albums.

XYZ
-----Original Message-----
From: Anurag Jain
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 6:47 AM
To: XYZ
Subject: RE: mystery Indian CD

Dear XYZ:

Its nice to hear from you, and to know that you liked an Indian video.

The song you are talking about is Bulla ki Jana by a new artist called Rabbi Shergill. It's been a super-duper hit. I myself have been listening to it non-stop. Originally a Sufi song, this Sikh (Turban!) artist has sung it in a Punjabi style. The lyrics have deep philosophical undertones (see meaning here ).

I dont have access to the video, but I have sent you the mp3 (audio) file from my yahoo account.

Best wishes,

Anurag

-----Original Message-----
From: XYZ
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Anurag Jain
Subject: Re: Rabbi Shergill - Bulla Ki Jana

Dear Anurag Jain,

Yes! This is the song, thanks. I have to get the video because it's so beautiful. I also saw another overseas Indian artist from Toronto (I think his name was Rahjeev) and his hit single was a reggae groove complete with hip-hop references also - what a groove! For me, this kind of fusion music is the future, I am getting so sick of American rap down in the gutter. Off your site, I listened to Sameera, and her songs were nice also.

It's great to make contact with you - I am a civil engineer in the USA, who makes comparisons of our Secretary of State and the Indian goddess Kali !

XYZ

==================================================
Sample 2
-----Original Message-----
From: ABC
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 1:12 AM
To: webmaster
Subject: I would like to hear "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram." Can you help me?

Mr. Jain,

I found your website through a Google search. I hope you can help me.

I am a 55-year old man in Ohio, U.S.A. I have a memory of learning an Indian song as a child about 45 years ago. And yet the melody persists in my mind! I remember that it was a song exhorting brotherhood, and trying to broach the gap between Hindus and Moslems in India. Now, as an adult, I believe that the song was "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram." Looking at the lyrics now, I suspect that the song is offensive to many Hindus and many Moslems. I take no position on the meaning or truth of the lyrics, since I am neither a Hindu nor a Moslem, and see no need to meddle in other peoples' quarrels. My only interest is to hear the music again.

That's why I am writing. Could you guide me to, or perhaps email me, an MP3 recording of that song? I believe that sharing a file with a single individual is not a copyright violation.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Please "reply to all" so that I can receive your reply both at my home and my office email addresses.

Yours truly,

ABC, MD
-----Original Message-----
From: Anurag Jain
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 7:43 AM
To: ABC
Subject: RE: I would like to hear "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram." Can you help me?

Dear Dr ABC:

Nice to hear from you, and to know that long time back you learnt this Indian song about the idea of fraternity.

Raghupata Raghav is what we call a Bhajan in India. Bhajan means a devotional song. I am not sure who penned it, but Raghupati Raghav is a bhajan associated with Mahatama Gandhi. And it is pretty much a part of Indian national consciousness. One can hear it at a lot of (Hindu) religious functions, or at nationalistic meetings (such as on Independence Day(15th Aug), Republic Day (26th Jan) etc).

About the meaning, I understand your concern, but I don't think it is offensive to anyone. Yes, it is a hindu prayer song, but I haven't heard of any Muslim getting offended by it :)

On a personal note, I love this bhajan. I find it pretty soothing and calming. Sending various versions to you from my yahoo account.

Do lemme know if this is the song/bhajan you wanted or was it something else you were nostalgic about :)

Best wishes,

Anurag
-----Original Message-----
From: ABC
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 1:45 AM
To: 'Anurag Jain'
Subject: Raghupati Raghav

Anurag,

Yes! That's it! That's the song whose melody has been in my head all these years.

I'm still amazed by it. Here is a song I heard (and sang, perhaps) for a few days over 40 years ago, a song in a language I don't speak-and yet it sticks in my memory. That tells us something about the brain and memory and music-but I don't know what.

Thank you for your kindness in sharing this song with me.

ABC

==================================================
Sample 3
-----Original Message-----
From: PQR
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 5:14 AM
To: webmaster
Subject: Tsunami Benefit

I am desperately searching for a musical performance group that is culturally influenced by India and/or East Africa, and/or Asia (preferably all three) for a Tsunami Benefit to be held in Charlotte NC on February 4th. Do you have any ideas or suggestions of groups that may be interested? It is a thousand person venue and we expect to sell out. The evening themes are reflecting the diversity of the people affected by the tragedy and honoring their cultures in art, dance, music, and song. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
PQR
0 comments                                                                                              

Comments: Post a Comment


Home