Anurag Jain's Blog
Sunday, December 05, 2004

Lonely Planet? Lovely Planet? :)

Didja know the origin of Lonely Planet's name? I think I had read about it quite sometime back, but recently got reminded when I read about it in ToI:

It comes from the Joe Cocker/Leon Russell film Mad Dogs & Englishmen. It had a song called Space Captain, with a line which went 'once while travelling across the sky, this lonely planet caught my eye'. Sounds nice I thought, so we used it. Except I'd misheard it. The correct phrase was 'lovely planet.' So, the name has been a 30-year mistake.

From the official site:
It's from a line in "Space Captain," a song by Joe Cocker and Leon Russell from the album "Mad Dogs and Englishmen." The actual words from the song are "lovely planet" but Tony Wheeler heard "lonely planet" and liked it and the rest is history.

Interesting, eh!

0 comments                                                                                              

Comments: Post a Comment


Home