Anurag Jain's Blog
Monday, November 22, 2004

Music Unlimited

At 24,000 songs I consider my music collection a fairly decent one. But here comes this hot-stepper guy and rains on my parade with his claims of having downloaded 900,000 songs! His aim is to collect every single song ever recorded! Pretty ambitious, eh!

As a music collector, in my opinion there are lots of issues/growing concerns when you have a huge music collection:
* How do you categorize yur music? By Genre? By Artistes? By Year? This guy uses Filemaker Pro 7. Gotta check that out. I still use genre-wise (and then artiste-wise) windows folder approach.
* Meta-data/MP3 Tagging is a big problem. Majority of MP3 files on Net are improperly tagged/not tagged at all.
* How do you make sure you are not seen as a big pirate and that RIAA/FBI don't come knocking on your door.
* Storage: Optimum drive-size, Kind of drives, storage architecture. I have 3 HDDs totaling to 200GB right now whereas 4th one (20GB) is lying outside as I can't use more than 3 drives with my old pentium. (Actually I had to remove my Zip-drive to put the third Hard Disk)

Even though it'd be neat to know of someone who has 900,000 songs, I have doubts about Doug's claims' authenticity. Apparently he's downloaded all this music in last 10 months only. Now my music collection which is 1/37.5th of the "King of Pirates" stands at 108 GB. So, for 900,000 tracks (assuming similar average track length and sampling rates), his collection would tantamount to 4,050 GB or 4 TeraBytes (TB). A lawyer with an ex-underwear-model wife has time to download 4TB of data in ten months!! Hmmm.. My contention is that any avid music downloader can vouch that this claim is pretty tenacious. Actually impossible. But lacking proof to that, for the moment I'll buy the story with a pinch of salt.

0 comments                                                                                              

Comments: Post a Comment


Home