Anurag Jain's Blog
Saturday, July 10, 2004

Someone@somewhere.com is, well, everywhere!

Maybe a year and a half back or so I, started using someone@somewhere.com as a dummy email id in online blogs, guestboks, forums, and sundry pages (including in replies to comments on my own blog where you are reading this). I think, in the choice of that arbit email id, I was sort of inspired by Shahrukh Khan starrer "Dil To Pagal Hai", a quintessential love-story with a tagline "Someone somewhere is made for you". So someone@somewhere.com sounded romantic, mysterious, and exotic all at the same time.

So far, so good. But then I started wondering what if someone actually tried to email me on that email address. Whenever I wondered on that, I always was sure that it would bounce because I assumed that there wouldn't be an actual email address like that. So, just for fun, I decided to google on someone@somewhere.com. And lo behold, there are some 4090 results! Now, that I did not expect. I mean, so many-like minded people, so many people, who in order to avoid spam, are resorting to the same id!

Taking it to next level, what if there is actually 'someone' who owns someone@somewhere.com ? You know what? It just might be true. Because the domain www.somewehere.com does exist, and hold your breath, its a anti-spam company! Now, how coincidental is THAT! All the people trying to avoid spam use someone@somewhere.com and in the process end up using an anti-spam company's domain! So, I am sure, even if 'someone' at somewhere.com wants the id someone@somewhere.com, he/she will not dare to do so because all of us someone/somewhere junkies have rendered it useless by exposing it to spammers!! I mean, imagine the amount of spam the actual someone@somewhere.com account would get!

So I would aver that a real someone@somewhere.com account does not exist. In fact, folks over at somewhere.com have these ids: nazgul AT somewhere.com and webmaster AT somewhere.com . Clever, eh! May the force be with them! (They surely would need it if they ever decide to open someone@somewhere.com email account :-)

13 comments                                                                                              

Comments:
I've often used a@b.c. Note that it's not even a legitimate name, but most forms will accept it.

Of course, I'm posting this anonymously:-)
 
What if that company uses that account to find all the spamming peoples account names? With all the people who use it, it would be easy for them to collect spam email accounts and popular messages for thier software. If I owned that company thats what I would do. :-D
 
also creative: dev@null.org
 
mehere AT thisisp.com
mehere AT mailinator.com
screwoff AT spam.org
 
bob@bob.com
 
user@host.com
 
I like to use postmaster@127.0.0.1. That way when the junk email is sent, is never goes anywhere. Unless they are sending using a real mail server, in which case the server's administrator is alerted to their activity.
 
i've used not@home.com for some time now
 
no@no.no woks for me for everything that doesn't require confirmation. Mailinator is always there for things that do. That poor Norwegian...
 
Use some dummy email address for confirmation messages (I use hotmail) or http://www.bugmenot.com for randomly visited places.

I don't spread my personal mail address around mutch. For those who need to contact me personal, can chat with me with some IM client (using various) or in IRC. If I trust he/she enough I'll give my permanent email address.
 
dick@hertz.com
 
Urgent Openings for IIM 2007 & 2008 Passed out Candidate



Dear Applicant,



Greetings form Job Cookies,


I represent to one of the leading IT consultancies in India called Job Cookies. Job Cookies is a dynamic and fast-growing Information Systems Consulting Firm. A Singapore based firm, which was incorporated with a commitment to provide appropriate solutions to clients in the areas of Recruitment and Human Resources Consultancy. Our management team has over 10 years of Industry experience, ready for you to take advantage of. We provide Placement Services for some of the Top MNC"sinIndiaaswellasAbroad

Company: Fortune 500 Company
Skill: IIM 2007 & 2008 Passed out Candidate




If you are interested in this opportunity, please send across your updated profile along with the below mentioned details to kiran@jobcookies.com. Please refer any of your friends who might be interested to take this position.

Current CTC:
Expected salary:
Notice Period:
Contact No:
Current Org:

Employee Type
Total Exp:
Relevant Exp:
DOB:
Current Location:





Regards

Kiran | Sr. Executive - Recruitment



Job Cookies India Pvt. Ltd.

(An ISO 9001:2000 Certified company)

Srirama Building, 2nd Floor

1-7-274/5, Sarojini Devi Road| Secunderabad -03

Email: Kiran@jobcookies.com

Url: www.jobcookies.com
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment


Home