Anurag Jain's Blog
Monday, July 07, 2003

Living on an Island

I often wonder what it would be like living on an island where no body but me is the only human presence. Movies like Cast Away (and may I add Blue Lagoon) have seriously impacted my thought process. I love Cast Away for the way it depicts how a human being can come to terms to one-ness.

Come to think of it, for last 5 years, I myself have been sorta living on an island. I mean, far from the madding crowd, I am nestled in a serene and beautiful campus. I haven't watched TV in last 5 years, save on very short visits to home, and also save the brief period when I had the 'privilege' of cable connection in my hostel room. I still have TV in my room but no cable connection. Do I miss watching TV? No! In fact, I proactively feel happy that I haven't been subjected to mindless, crass-culture remix videos and latka-jhatkas in general. (Remember what Manna Dey said: "Today, songs are not heard, they are seen."!) The only thing I miss is HBO, National geographic / Discovery. Well, thats a small price to pay to save myself from being a victim of dumb-and-dumber TV media, esp with 24 hrs Net in my room. Another proof of living on island is that I have missed the entire cellphone revolution by not buying a cellphone (I tried using one gifted by my bro. Thank God it didn't work). So, even though I am 'connected' 24 hours, I am really living on an island.

Wait a minute, something is wrong. Heck, where's my Brooke Shields? Hell, this aint no livin on island without no Brooke Shileds of my own.
0 comments                                                                                              

Comments: Post a Comment


Home